About Us

ST. ROSE OF LIMA SCHOOL


MISSION STATEMENT


St. Rose of Lima School is a Catholic educational community committed to preparing students for lifelong success by

promoting and developing prayer, worship, education, service and fellowship.


PHILOSOPHY OF EDUCATION


St. Rose of Lima Parish School, as a part of the educational ministry of St. Rose Catholic Parish, strives to teach the Good News of Jesus Christ through the instruction of its students according to the Catechism of the Catholic Church and to live within the tradition of the Catholic Church.  We seek to strengthen our students with active involvement in liturgy, prayer, Christian service to others, and a loving and caring atmosphere.  To accomplish this, a clear expectation of parental involvement and broad parish.


St. Rose of Lima School, beginning with its long relationship with the Sisters of St. Jo

seph, seeks to develop the talents of each student under the guidance of a qualified and dedicated staff.  We work to maintain high academic standards, hold students accountable for their work and conduct, emphasize basic learning skills, and provide a variety of creative and cooperative educational opportunities within the limits of our resources.


The faculty at St. Rose strongly believes that the basis for developing proper attitudes and behaviors begins with a good home environment and training.  We believe parents are accountable to the school by openly supporting school policies and regulations.  We also believe that it is the parent's responsibility to see that their children are prepared each day to participate in school activities by providing proper dress, breakfast, school supplies and equipment, lunch or lunch money, and encouraging that school books be brought home and homework be completed.


HISTORY


St. Rose of Lima Catholic School has a long history in the Hastings Community. St. Rose of Lima School was founded in 1917 by the Sisters of St. Joseph from Nazareth College near Kalamazoo. St. Rose of Lima School has been serving the Catholic and greater community of Barry County since that time. At its inception, St. Rose of Lima School had an enrollment of 40 students in grades 1-8.


The school building was expanded in 1924, moving from two classrooms to four. High School programs were added at this time. The high school program was offered up until the beginning of World War II.


In 1961 a new school building was added, expanding the school to seven classrooms.


In April of 1997, the older school building was torn down to make way for a new school complex, consisting of seven classrooms, a gym/all purpose room, an adult education room, and a library/computer lab. The new building was completed in September of 1997 and dedicated with Bishop Donovan in attendance.


Currently, the school program is Young 5’s thru sixth grade and has an average enrollment of 80 students.


St. Rose of Lima School also involves its students in many different artistic endeavors and is known throughout the community for its programs. Our students participate in a grand Christmas Pageant where all students sing, act, recite and dance. Our students also perform for many different service organizations and groups throughout the year. Kiwanis, Rotary, the Commission on Aging, Thornapple Manor, and Tendercare are some of the groups that call on our students for programs.